A picture is worth a thousand words, and it’s true that individuals often base their travel destination on the images that they’ve seen of said-destination. This is for a number of reasons:
- We’re living in a fast-paced world that’s saturated with instant gratification
- We have access to social media and search engines that allow us to scroll through thousands of images in a matter of seconds (think Pinterest and Instagram)
- Individuals are often more focused on the aesthetic of a destination, making it less of a research-based decision when it comes to travelling
With that, we’re going to give you a few tips on how you can use your platforms to show off stunning travel and/or lifestyle content.
1. Find the Right Angle
Think about your destination or lifestyle brand… who is your target market? Perhaps you have an adults-only five star hotel that’s completely luxurious? Maybe a family-focused location? Or possibly a spot that appeals to younger travellers on a budget?
You’ll need to use the right angle for them to not only be able to find you (more info on that below), but also to connect with what you’re saying, making it a destination they’d love to visit.
2.Optimize Your Content
As mentioned, you’re going to want your audience to find you. You can do this in a number of different ways:
- Use SEO to your advantage by consulting keyword research tools (Keysearch, for example) and finding relevant keywords that you can rank for in Google.
- Google your destination and scroll down to the bottom to see what questions are often searched for regarding that destination.Then, create blog posts using those questions as your title. In this way, you have a higher chance of being featured as a Google snippet.
- Make sure that you have social media pages that your target market wants to engage with. For example: create competition that prompts viewers to ‘like’ your page, share your content, and/or tag their friends. Also, when creating content, ask yourself: why would/will someone share this content?
3. Social Media is King
Social media is by no means a new concept. But it surely has been brought to life since the start of COVID-19, with Facebook and Instagram seeing a 40 percent increase in usage since the pandemic hit. This is actually good news for you, as you can really start to take advantage of these platforms to boost, share, and promote your travel and lifestyle brand.
And sure, travel has been extremely limited during COVID-19 but that doesn’t mean that you should be taking a break. In fact, it’s this time when you need to be engaging and sharing even more so that you can create and maintain connections.
Lastly, if you’re stumped on what kind of content to post, you can very easily spy on your competition or other brands similar to yours that are thriving.
You can do this by accessing Facebook’s library, which will give you a list of all of the ads that are being run on its platforms (Facebook, Messenger, Instagram). Simply click here and enter the name of your competition’s Facebook page.
In this way, you can find out what’s working for them, be it video or brand awareness content, their call-to-action features, and angles they’ve chosen to use to capture their audience.
One final tip? We recommend choosing one platform and making it shine! This is a much better approach than being average on many different platforms. And keep in mind that Facebook users spend, on average, around 2.5 seconds on one piece of content from their laptop, and just 1.7 seconds from their phone! Make those seconds count!`